Returning To Work
However, this does not mean that you have to stop breastfeeding. You could:
- request flexible working hours
- organise child care close to your workplace, so that you can breastfeed during breaks as well as when you are at home
- express breastmilk to keep up your supply, and so that someone else can feed it to your baby
The third solution may sometimes be a challenge, and does take commitment and preparation. However, with the support of your employer, using an efficient breast pump and having a proper storage area for your expressed milk, it can be done. Even if you and your baby are apart for more of the time, you can still enjoy that close bond at the beginning and end of the working day, and on days when you are together. It could be a good idea to ask the person who is looking after your baby while you are at work not to feed him for an hour or so before you come home (or give him less) so that you can both look forward to sharing that bond straight away.
A good breast pump is important, both to keep up milk supply and to express enough breastmilk for your baby to have while you are at work. Many women find it helps to massage their breasts before beginning, and to have a photograph of their baby to look at while expressing. Frequency, as well as length of the pumping sessions, stimulates your body to produce milk, so try not to skip a session. Take care not to miss pumping while you are away from your baby as you may become overly full, and at risk of a blocked duct which could lead to mastitis. If your breasts become very full, express off enough for comfort.
If you feel uncomfortable, you do not have to tell your colleagues that you are expressing milk during your breaks, but your line manager should be informed and needs to know that it will not interfere with your work. It is a good idea to keep a spare top and breast pads at work, should you need them.
- ... View
- Lansinoh’s 2-in-1 Double Electric Breast Pump is the very best option for mothers who want comfort,... View
- Lansinoh’s Manual Breast Pump provides a portable and convenient option for breastfeeding women who... View
- Lansinoh’s Single Electric Breast Pump has been designed to help you express your precious breast milk... View