Breast Cushion: How to get the right fit?
What is a breast cushion?
The breast cushion is the piece of the breast pump that goes around your breast. Here’s what you need to know about fit. The Lansinoh Comfort Fit Breast Cushion is designed with a soft, flexible silicone rims which feels more comfortable against the breast without needing to use an insert.
Properly fitted breast cushions:
- Allow your nipple to move in and out freely without touching or rubbing along the sides;
- Draw in only your nipple and a small portion of your areola.
Improperly fitted breast cushions:
- Block milk ducts reducing the amount you can express and potentially leading to clogged ducts;
- Cause pain or injury to your nipples.
If your breast cushion is too large, you’ll notice:
- A large portion of your areola is pulled into the tunnel.
If you’re breast cushion is too small, you’ll notice:
- Your nipples touching or rubbing along the sides of the tunnel;
- A feeling of pinching or soreness in the nipple when pumping;
- Your breasts don’t feel empty after pumping, or it take a long time for them to feel empty;
- Your nipple will be misshaped when you finish pumping.
What else should I know?
Our manual, single and compact single electric breast pumps come with 25mm Comfort Fit Breast Cushions, whereas the SmartPump 2.0 Electric Breast Pump and 2-in-1 Double Electric Breast Pump both come with a pair of 25mm and a pair of 30.5mm Comfort Fit Breast Cushions.
Soft, flexible silicone rims on Lansinoh Comfort Fit Breast Cushions feel more comfortable against the breast without needing to use an insert.
You can purchase additional breast cushions here –